We are working with one of our International Petrochemical Clients, they are headquartered in Houston, Texas; our client is looking for 2 Procurement Leads, one to be based in Houston, with the second Procurement Lead, who must have international working experience as they will be based in Japan for 18 – 24 months.
The Procurement Area Lead (PAL) is assigned to a scope of work for USGC II Major Capital Project fulltime. The PAL is responsible for managing assigned project procurement activities from inception through project close-out. The primary responsibility is to oversee the procurement, subcontracting and logistics activities for the Ethylene or Furnace Engineering Procurement and Construction Contractor (EPC). During detailed design, the PAL will work collaboratively with the EPC to ensure Project requirements are met and schedules maintained for equipment from requisitioning through delivery on-site. The PAL shall ensure the EPC contractor’s execution plans meet contractual requirements. PAL will be responsible for Ethylene or Furnace Owner’s Cost items and will work with other PALs to coordinate requirements.
The PAL reports day-to-day to the Ethylene or Furnace Project Manager and functionally to the Procurement and Logistics Manager. The PAL will be located at a company/facility office location in the Woodlands or co-located with the Ethylene or Furnace PMT in Yokohama Japan or Houston, Texas.
POSITION ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THE PROCUREMENT LEADS:
- Development of detailed procurement execution plans (procurement, subcontracting, expediting, logistics, AVL management etc.) for defined scope that deliver quantifiable value and provide for goal alignment between the PMT and its suppliers, including commercial terms and performance metrics.
- Understanding of commercial terms/conditions of the Ethylene or Furnace EPC Contract, and associated risks.
- Stays abreast of market trends as it relates to areas of responsibility.
- To the extent practical to the assignment, develop/support RFQ packages, conduct commercial bid evaluations, prepare purchase award recommendations, negotiate contracts and develop contracts and PO’s.
- Participate daily, weekly, monthly review meetings internally or with assigned EPC contractor to ensure deliverables schedules are maintained.
- Schedule and facilitate with EPC contractor SRM meetings with Critical vendors.
- As required, participate in vendor surveillance visits to ensure equipment is on schedule.
- Ensure necessary, experienced resources, are available to facilitate achievement of established project goals and success criteria.
- Ensure attainment of project budget and specific financial objectives, to include effective time/effort component.
- Ensure problems are identified on a timely basis and appropriate corrective action plans are developed to allow resolution; lead efforts to resolve disputes, claims and supplier performance issues.
- Ensure reporting is effective and timely, to include representing the procurement function in team meetings when needed.
- Coordinate with other PALs to ensure all Owner’s Cost items are identified, specifications are confirmed, procurement and receipt on-site is achieved per agreed schedule.
- Ensure auditable procurement files are maintained and project filing and record retention procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure deliverable quality level meets project requirements and internal customer expectations.
- Ensure internal customer needs are identified and effectively addressed.
- Incorporate lessons learned into the appropriate strategies, plans, procedures and activities.
SKILLS/COMPETENCIES FOR THE PROCUREMENT LEADS:
- Experience on a mega project (either owner or EPC) – internal experience desirable
- Procurement through payables elements of SAP
- Microsoft Office Software to include Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Results oriented; strong work ethic; appropriate sense of urgency
- Self-starter; flexibility in responding to changing priorities
- Able to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders, project team members and others
- Show understanding, friendliness, tact, courtesy, empathy, concern and politeness to others
- Able to identify problems and use sound judgment in evaluating alternatives and making recommendations
- Punctual and dependable
- Excellent verbal and written presentation/communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
- Sufficiently detail oriented to ensure an accurate work product on a consistent and routine basis
WORK EXPERIENCE FOR THE PROCUREMENT LEADS:
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Project Management or Supply Chain Management preferred; individuals with relevant work experience of 15 years or more of Project Procurement experience in lieu of degree will be considered.
- CPM, CPSM or similar accreditation desirable
- 10 years minimum total prior Procurement experience required
- 5 years minimum Capital Projects Procurement and Contracting experience required, preferably within the petrochemical industry
- Experience with services contracting, including an understanding of the legal aspects and a thorough understanding of compliance and risk from a business perspective
- Contract negotiation and development experience required